Friday 24 August 2012

Iqbal Bhai, The Man from Swat

Baji calls him my godfather.  He has the solution for all my problems.  I say anything and he knows the answer.
He just called me from Karachi around 4 o'clock and asked me to go outside on my own.
"Baji koi parishani ka baat nai ay, aap aaraam se akaila goomo, Allah aap ko khush rakay."

He promised Baba and Baji that he will take care of me like my own family member.  He is the man of his words, a manly masculine man but very much camera shy, ha ha.  He has really become our family member.

He has taught me few words in Pashto like, pakh-palay means khud/on your own, khook means is it sweet enough?, raasha raasha means hurry up, come one come on, seen means river, zma Rubi daey means my name is Rubi, loor means daughter, zooer means son, yeyyyyy!

He took us to his youngest sister's house on Wednesday night.  She is a typical innocent, Pathan house lady who has no idea about life beyond the boundary of her house. Her husband, Muhammad Ali Bhai, told me that he has read Iqbal's poetry and regards him as a great scholar and wali-ullah.  I have started loving him since then.  And, O my God, he is very talkative.  He clarified that he never communicates with women sitting beside but because his wives don't know Urdu and he doesn't want me to get bored, so that is why he is talking to me about Iqbal and other topics.  They are perfect gentlemen.

They are a large size family and are well-off but have chosen to live like poor.  The entire house was made of red bricks, containing three lightly furnished rooms, a veranda, and a spacious ground with trees and plants and well in the corner to fetch the water.  Still they had a refrigerator and a television set to watch PTV.

,

No comments:

Post a Comment